All business platforms have negatives and positives.
Here are 5 positive factors about dropshipping compared to running a business via traditional bulk buying and selling.
- You have the ability to start an online store with very little inital investment. Every business needs money to start-up, however the low cost of domains, free ecommerce software and various methods of free promotion mean you can start selling products online using only a small sum of money.
- You can spend more time promoting, less time packing. If you sell in the traditional way (buy in bulk and sell on) you will have to spend a certain amount of time on each order packaging the product up and then going to the post office. With dropshipping you visit the dropshippers website and place your order, this time saved can used to develop other areas of your business.
- Access to a much greater range of products. If you buy and sell products the chances are you won’t have enough capital to buy all the products you want (this could be many hundreds of products) or you may not want to risk so much in case the products don’t sell. Dropshipping means you can use a range of dropshippers to sell a large range of products without increasing business risk.
- You can run everything from home. When your business really starts to pick up you should still be able to run your business from home, you may need to start using your dining room instead of your bedroom but you still save a lot of money on moving into new premises like a traditional bulk buying business would.
- You don’t have to deal with customer returns and warranties. The dropshipper has to look after returns, so when any customers wish to return a product you just have to notify the dropshipper and supply a refund once the product is returned. This saves a lot of time compared to if you had to inspect every return and then go about selling the product again or writing it off.
All of the benefits listed evolve around saving time and money, both of which reduce business risk. If you have any other reasons you really like dropshipping which aren’t listed you are welcome to put a comment below.